Slack (Actions) Destination
Slack is a team collaboration tool work flows. It’s where the people you need, the information you share, and the tools you use come together to get things done.
This document is about a feature which is in beta. This means that the Destination Actions are in active development, and some functionality may change before it becomes generally available
Benefits of Slack (Actions) vs Slack Classic
Slack (Actions) provides the following benefits over the classic Slack destination:
- Consolidated Message Sending. Send multiple messages from a single instance of the Slack (Actions) destinations. Use Event Triggers to send a message when your criteria is met.
- Streamlined Configuration. Configure connection details on a per-message basis, rather than for the destination as a whole. This enables sending messages to different workspaces or channels from one source.
- Easier access to data. The event variables picker shows you all the available data from the event you use to test the Trigger. Variables are clearly labeled to ensure they stand out from other text and markup.
- From the Segment web app, click Catalog, then click Destinations.
- Find the Destinations Actions item in the left navigation, and click it.
- Click Configure Actions Slack.
- Select an existing Source to connect to Slack (Actions).
- Click Customized Setup to start from a blank mapping.
Important differences from the classic Slack destination
- The classic Slack destination formats messages using the handlebars syntax. Slack (Actions) follows Slack’s formatting syntax.
Available Slack actions
Combine the supported triggers with the following Slack-supported actions:
Post Message sends a message to the specified Slack workspace and channel when the associated trigger criteria are met.
Migration from the classic Slack destination
Follow the table below to map your existing Slack destination configuration to Slack (Actions).
Slack (Actions) uses Slack’s formatting syntax. This requires that you manually re-enter any messages from Slack Classic, and pick event data from the event variable picker. The handlebars syntax from Slack Classic is not compatible.
Slack settings mapping
|slack Classic Destination Setting||How to enable in slack (Actions)|
In Slack (Actions), events and channels are set per subscription.
In Slack (Actions), you do not need a specific template for Identifying users. Use the Messages field to write your message, and add data from the event.
In Slack (Actions), you do not need a specific template for specific Events. Use the Filter and Messages field to specify the incoming event, and write your message with data from the event.
|Incoming Webhook URL
Available as a subscription-level setting on the Post Message action.
Use the Messages field in the Post Message action to create your message with any traits from an incoming Identify call.
This page was last modified: 16 Sep 2021
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact us, and we can help!