Crazy Egg Destination
Crazy Egg is a user testing tool that gives you heatmaps, clickmaps and scrollmaps of your visitors interacting with your site. It helps you learn where your users are having trouble. The Crazy Egg Destination is open-source. You can browse the code on GitHub.
This document was last updated on 18th January, 2018. If you notice any gaps, out-dated information or simply want to leave some feedback to help us improve our documentation, let us know!
Before you start, make sure Crazy Egg supports the source type and connection mode you’ve chosen to implement. You can learn more about connection modes here.
- From your Segment UI’s Destinations page click on “Add Destination”.
- Search for “Crazy Egg” within the Destinations Catalog and confirm the Source you’d like to connect to.
- Navigate to the set up page within your Crazy Egg UI and copy the Account Number which should be a series of 8-9 numbers in bold.
- Enter this within the Segment UI under “Account Number” and Crazy Egg will automatically start recording heatmap data once the CDN updates in 45 minutes.
- Complete the set-up flow by entering the URL of the page you want heatmap tracking implemented for.
- Navigate to the Crazy Egg Dashboard to track the data. It’s worth noting that it may take up to 24-48 hours for initial data to show up.
If you’re not familiar with the Segment Specs, take a look to understand what the Page method does. An example call would look like:
As this is automatically included in the
analytics.js snippet by default, you don’t need to take any further action. If you remove this default page call for whatever reason, Crazy Egg will not be able to record any heatmaps.
Note: Since Crazy Egg only records data about mouse clicks and scrolls, it does not collect any of the data represented by other standard Segment API methods.
I can’t map user variables
Script unverified or undetected by third-party tool
Many times this is a limitation on the tool’s detection process, where the detector is looking for a specific HTML element on your page. Our client side analytics.js library asynchronously loads the tool’s library or pixel onto the page. As such, the detection fails.
If the script isn’t loading, check that any form of ad blocker is disabled.
Segment lets you change these destination settings from the Segment app without having to touch any code.
You can find your Account Number by going to the Crazy Egg Setup Instructions and clicking I use Segment. Your account number will appear in bold. It should be a series of numbers, like
This page was last modified: 09 Jun 2020
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact us, and we can help!