Google Cloud Function Destination
Google Cloud Function quick info
Google Cloud Function accepts cloud-mode data from all Segment source types. It does not offer device-mode connections.
Segment makes it easy to send your data to Google Cloud Function (and lots of other destinations). Once you collect your data using Segment’s open source libraries, Segment translates and routes your data to Google Cloud Function in a format it can use.
Google Cloud Function is a lightweight compute solution for developers to create single-purpose, stand-alone functions that respond to Cloud events without the need to manage a server or runtime environment.
This document is about a destination which is in beta
This means that the Google Cloud Function Destination is in active development, and some functionality may change before it becomes generally available.
Before you start, make sure Google Cloud Function supports the source type and connection mode you’ve chosen to implement. You can learn more about connection modes here.
Build a Google Cloud Function to Process Segment Events
Before you can process events from Segment, you must provide a Google Cloud Function that can handle your incoming events.
- Go to https://cloud.google.com/functions.
Click VIEW CONSOLE.
- Select a project.
- Click CREATE FUNCTION.
- Enter a name for your function, and choose how much memory the function can use.
- In the Trigger field, select
HTTP. Save the
URLGCP gives you. You’ll use this to configure the Segment destination later.
- Choose how you’ll provide the function’s code (in the Source code field) and what language the code is written in (in the Runtime field).
- Enter the name of the function as you defined it in your code, in the Function to execute field.
- Click Create to save your settings and create the Google Cloud Function.
Configure the Google Cloud Function Destination
Once you create the Google Cloud Function, you can set up a Segment destination that calls the function.
- Log in to the Segment app and select the workspace you want to work in.
- Click Catalog and search for Google Cloud Function.
- Click Configure Google Cloud Function.
- Enter the destination settings for this GCF destination.
|HTTP Trigger||The URL given under the
|API Key (optional)||A string to identify that a request is coming from Segment, if required by the function.
The API key is injected in the
For user-property destinations, an identify call is sent to the destination for each user being added and removed. The property name is the snake_cased version of the audience name, with a true/false value to indicate membership. For example, when a user first completes an order in the last 30 days, Personas sends an Identify call with the property
order_completed_last_30days: true. When the user no longer satisfies this condition (for example, it’s been more than 30 days since their last order), Personas sets that value to
When you first create an audience, Personas sends an Identify call for every user in that audience. Later audience syncs only send updates for users whose membership has changed since the last sync.
Segment lets you change these destination settings from the Segment app without having to touch any code.
The api key used to identify request performed by Segment.
The URL to call the Google Cloud Function.
This page was last modified: 08 Mar 2021
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact us, and we can help!