Personas Facebook Custom Audiences Destination
The Facebook Custom Audiences Destination is one of our most popular Personas Destinations. It has a variety of use cases related to suppression, acquisition (using lookalikes), retargeting, and more.
This Destination can send audiences (lists of users) created in Personas to Facebook Custom Audiences as a User-List. Once you set this up, Segment sends an initial list of users to Facebook, and then keeps it up-to-date as new users enter or exit that audience.
This allows you to run advertising campaigns in Facebook without having to manually find and upload a refreshed a csv of users. We currently support Facebook Custom Audiences for Known Users. Anonymous Website Audiences is supported separately by the Facebook Custom Audiences Website Destination, which is currently in Early Access.
Note:You must have access to Personas as part of your Segment plan to use this destination. Contact our sales team to try this out.
Other Facebook Destinations Supported by Segment
This page is about the Facebook Custom Audiences destination developed specifically for use with Segment Personas. For documentation on other Facebook destinations, see the pages linked below. For access to documentation on the Facebook Custom Audiences (Website) destination, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, as it is an Early Access feature.
|Facebook Destination||Supported by Personas|
|Facebook App Events||Yes|
|Facebook Offline Conversions||Yes|
|Facebook Custom Audiences||Yes|
|Facebook Custom Audiences Website||Yes|
- Supports Personas: Yes
- Personas Destination type: List
- Must create audience_name field before Personas can update those values?: No, Personas creates the audience for you.
- Audience appears as: As a Facebook Custom Audience
- Destination rate limit: None
- Lookback window allowed: Yes
- Identifiers required : Email or Mobile Device ID (IDFA)
- Identifiers accepted : See Facebook developer docs for full list
- Client or Server-Side Connection: Server-side
- Minimum audience size required: 100
Use Cases: Known Users
Facebook Custom Audiences allows you to efficiently run several marketing and advertising operations. The list below contains the most popular use cases when you know personally identifiable information (PII) about your users, such as email address, name, phone number, etc. Facebook takes the data that you send to Facebook Custom Audiences and matches it to the users that are on Facebook to enable these use cases.
Suppression Audiences. Create an audience of users that signed up, purchased a product, or otherwise performed some conversion event. Getting those users into Facebook in a timely manner (hourly syncs) prevents you from spending money targeting users that already converted. You can do this by creating an Audience in Personas, and syncing it to the Facebook Custom Audience Destination.
Lookalikes & Seed Audiences. You can use Personas to create a detailed profile of your most loyal customers (sometimes called a “seed audience”) and then send this list of customers to Facebook. In Facebook, you can then use Facebook’s lookalike audiencing features to find similar users to target. For example, you might want to create a group of high-value users that have spent a certain amount of money on your product, and then use Facebook audiences to find similar users.
Re-targeting Audiences. You can use Personas to target users who completed some initial action, but didn’t follow through on a purchase or other conversion event. You can create audiences to re-target these individuals and remind them to complete the purchase or other process.
Note: Re-targeting can also mean targeting anonymous visitors (those with no known personally identifiable information, such as email). The Personas Facebook Custom Audiences Integration feature for this use case is currently in beta. See below.
Use Cases - Anonymous Users (Beta)
Sometimes, users visit your website and perform high-intent activities such as looking at a product or pricing page multiple times, but they don’t convert (buy), and they don’t provide any personally identifiable information so you can contact them.
Facebook Custom Audiences allows you to retarget these anonymous users using the Website Custom Audience. This is an audience that you can build in Facebook based on the Facebook Pixel, which identifies users based on a cookie set in their browser.
Segment Personas supports this use case with the Facebook Custom Audiences Device-Side Integration. This Personas destination is currently in Early Access. To access join the Early Access program, email email@example.com.
How it works
Every time you create an audience in Personas and connect it to Personas Facebook Custom Audiences, Segment does the following:
- Creates a Facebook Custom Audience (of type Customer List) with a name that matches the Personas Audience.
- Adds any users that fit the audience definition, based on the matching identifiers that Facebook supports (hashed). Facebook uses these identifiers to match users to Facebook users in their ads system.
- Once the audience is configured, Segment checks which users still fit the audience definition based on the same identifiers, and adds or remove users from the audience, every hour.
You can use the Audience History feature in Facebook to see this change over time.
Before you start, make sure you have a Facebook Ads account with “Advertiser” or “Admin” access to link Personas to Facebook Ads.
1. Authorize Facebook Custom Audiences
- Go to your Personas Space in your Segment Workspace.
- Go to the Destinations tab and click “Add Destination”.
- Select the Personas Facebook Custom Audiences option, and click Configure Personas Facebook Custom Audiences.
- Authorize Facebook Ads and select a Facebook account id to sync to.
2. Create an audience in Segment & connect to Facebook
- Go to the Audience Builder in Personas and create a new Audience with your desired event and trait criteria.
- Go to your Personas space, and select the Facebook destination you added to connect the audience to Facebook.
- Give the audience a name and description, and click Create.
- Your audience starts syncing from Personas to Facebook Ads.
Note: if you change the name of the audience in Segment, it will not be reflected in Facebook
3. Verify that the audience appears in Facebook
Once created, the audience should be available in Facebook in ten minutes unless it’s unusually large.
- From within Facebook Ads, go to Business Manager > All tools > Assets > Audiences.
- Click the Facebook audience name that matches your Personas audience name, and check Audience History to see how many users were added.
Early Access (Alpha) Feature: Additional identifier matching
Previously, Segment only sent email and mobile ids to Facebook. Segment is now able to send an expanded list of identifiers to Facebook, so that Facebook can try to use these additional identifiers to match to their user profiles. If you have implemented any of these identifiers in your Segment tracking, Personas is able to send the identifiers to Facebook. Segment can now also sync multiple emails if the profile contains more than one. This feature is in Early Access. If you would like access, contact your CSM or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Name||Trait Key formats supported||Facebook Keys||FB Hashing Required||FB Guidelines|
|Yes||Trim leading, trail whitespace, and convert all characters to lowercase.|
|Mobile ID||MADID||No||Use all lowercase, keep hyphens.|
|PHONE (+12023095976)||Yes||Remove symbols, letters, and any leading zeroes. You should prefix the country code if
|GEN||Yes||Use these values:
|Birth Year||birth_year||DOBY||Yes||Use the YYYY format from 1900 to current year.|
|Birth Month||birth_month||DOBM||Yes||Use the MM format:
|DOBD||Yes||Use the DD format:
|ST||Yes||Use the 2-character ANSI abbreviation code, lowercase. Normalize states outside U.S. in lowercase, no punctuation, no special characters, no white space.|
|ZIP||Yes||Use lowercase, no white space. Use only the first 5 digits for U.S. Use Area/District/Sector format for the UK.|
|COUNTRY||Yes||Use 2-letter country codes (lowercase) in ISO 3166-1 alpha-2.|
Not seeing an audience in Facebook
Make sure you authorized Facebook and selected the correct account id.
Audience size smaller than expected
Segment sends lists of users with identifiers that Facebook supports to Facebook. The matching logic itself occurs within Facebook. Facebook is more likely to be able to match a user profile if you track as many identifiers as possible, including email, mobile advertising identifiers (IDFA, Google advertising id), and others. If Facebook is unable to identify users based on the data that you provide, then the match rate will be low.
For example: many B2B SaaS business have users that sign up for their products with a work email address, like
email@example.com. However, most Facebook users sign up for Facebook with a personal email only, like
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you only provide the work email address, and no other identifiers, then Facebook can’t match your user to the Jane Doe Facebook profile. This is the case for all identifiers: Facebook must have the identifier somewhere in a user’s profile, or else they can’t match on it.
Do you support LTV audiences?
Facebook has a feature called value-based audiences where you can send an additional field like LTV, to tell Facebook how to optimize their advertising based on a customer’s value.
Personas does not currently support this feature. If this is important to you, let us know at email@example.com.
This page was last modified: 01 Apr 2020
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact us, and we can help!