Snapchat Audience Destination
The Snapchat Ads product provides a way to target advertisements to a global audience and drive meaningful results.
Segment’s integration with Snapchat Ad’s Snap Audience Match (SAM) enables Segment customers to sync audiences created in Personas with Snapchat Advertising
For more information about advertising with Snapchat:
- Personas enabled with an existing personas space
- A Snapchat Ads account with permission to create audiences
- phone number
- iOS IDFA
- Android IDFA
The Snapchat Audiences destination syncs audience data from Segment Personas to Snapchat Ads. To begin:
- Navigate to the Destinations section of your Personas space, and click Add Destination.
- Search for
Snapchat Audienceand click Configure.
- On the Snapchat Audiences configuration screen, click Connect to Snapchat Audiences. Log in to Snapchat with an account that has access to Ads Manager. Once authenticated, confirm the connection to Segment.
- Select the Snap Ads account that will receive audience data. This accounts represents an advertising entity or business, and not your personal Snapchat user account. You may belong to several Ad Accounts; make sure to select the correct account here. After the Ad Account is specified, the destination is active.
- Add the Snapchat Audiences Destination to an existing Personas Audience.
- Navigate to the Personas Space that contains the audience, and select it from the Audiences tab.
- Click Add Destination.
- The configured Snapchat Audiences destination should appear in the Send as User List category of available destinations.
Click the destination and confirm the identifier:
Mobile ID. Click Save.
- Segment sends hashed
idfavalues to Snapchat so that they can match those identifiers against Snapchat users.
Segment also supports
phoneNumberif it is present on the user’s profile. Please make sure you pass phone numbers in a format that Snapchat supports. Read more in Snapchat’s documentation regarding Normalizing and Hashing.
- Segment sends hashed
- Click Add Destination to activate the destination for your Personas Audience
The initial synchronization of audience data may take several hours, depending on the size of the audience. Once the initial sync occurs, you’ll notice a new Audience in the Snap Ads dashboard.
I’m passing phone number as the identifier to Snapchat, why doesn’t the audience populate?
Verify the following:
- You’re collecting user phone numbers when users are added to the Personas Audience, and that you have configured the destination to send
- You’re collecting phone numbers in a format that Snapchat supports. For more information, see Snapchat’s documentation regarding Normalizing and Hashing.
Why can’t I select our Ads Account during the destination setup?
Ensure the following criteria are met:
- Your personal Snapchat login has appropriate permissions within your business. Snapchat Account Admin or Data Manager permissions are required to configure and add audiences.
- Your Snap Ads account is in
How do I view the sync status?
Status will be shown in the Event Delivery tool. When you view the audience, you can open the side bar which directs you to Event Delivery.
For user-property destinations, an identify call is sent to the destination for each user being added and removed. The property name is the snake_cased version of the audience name, with a true/false value to indicate membership. For example, when a user first completes an order in the last 30 days, Personas sends an Identify call with the property
order_completed_last_30days: true. When the user no longer satisfies this condition (for example, it’s been more than 30 days since their last order), Personas sets that value to
When you first create an audience, Personas sends an Identify call for every user in that audience. Later audience syncs only send updates for users whose membership has changed since the last sync.
Real-time to batch destination sync frequency
Note that real-time audience syncs to Snapchat Audience may take six or more hours for the initial sync to complete. Upon completion, a sync frequency of two to three hours is expected.
Segment lets you change these destination settings from the Segment app without having to touch any code.
This page was last modified: 25 Apr 2022
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact Segment Support for assistance!