Segment makes it easy to send your data to AdWords Remarketing Lists (and lots of other destinations). Once you've tracked your data through our open source libraries we'll translate and route your data to AdWords Remarketing Lists in the format they understand. Learn more about how to use AdWords Remarketing Lists with Segment.
The destination lets you sync audiences created through Segment Personas into Google Adword’s Remarketing Lists as a User-List. Once you’ve created an audienceca, Segment will take re of sending that list of users to Google and keeping it up to date as users enter and exit the audience specification.
This will allow you to run advertising campaigns in Google without having to bug your data or engineering team for a csv of users. This doc lays out how authorize Google in Segment, how to create an audience, and what to expect in your Google Adwords UI. Note that you must add Personas to your Segment plan to use this destination. Please contact our sales team if you want to try this out.
1. Authorize Google Adwords
- Go to
- Configure Adwords on the personas source that we’ve pre-created for you (should be called
- Authorize Google Adwords
2. Create an audience in Segment
- Go to
https://app.segment.com/<your-workspace-slug>/personas/audiences& create a new audience
- Give your audience some event and trait criteria, then click Preview
- Connect your audience to Adwords Remarketing Lists
- Click Create Audience, your audience will now start syncing to Google in a couple minutes
3. Check Adwords for audience
Note: You should be able to see the audience under Adword’s Audience Manager shortly after saving the audience in Segment, with the status ‘Populating’. Adwords itself can take from 6-12 hours to process audience uploads before they can be used in a campaign.
- In the Adwords UI, click on ‘Go to’ shortcut in navigation and type ‘Audience Manager’
- Click on the audience with the same name as in the Segment UI, and once it’s done populating check the size of the audience
Not seeing an audience in Google
Make sure you have authorized Google. You can review & re-authorize this connection directly here: https://app.segment.com/
Audience size smaller than expected
We attempt to match users in your audience with the identifiers that Google supports. For Google this includes email.
What Adwords platforms are supported?
This destination supports Search, Gmail, and Youtube ad campaigns. Adwords does not support Display campaigns through remarketing lists.
Segment lets you change these destination settings via your Segment dashboard without having to touch any code.
Choose an account.
If you have any questions, or see anywhere we can improve our documentation, please let us know!