This destination is currently in beta. If you are interested in joining, let us know!
Segment makes it easy to send your data to Google Cloud Storage (and lots of other destinations). Once you've tracked your data through our open source libraries we'll translate and route your data to Google Cloud Storage in the format they understand.
The Google Cloud Storage destination puts the raw logs of the data Segment receives into your GCS bucket.
Note: The data is copied into your bucket at least every hour. You might see multiple files over a period of time depending on how much data is copied.
Keep in mind that Google Cloud Storage works differently from most of our destinations. Using a destinations selector like the integrations object does not affect events in the case of Google Cloud Storage.
- Create a Service Account to allow Segment to copy files into the bucket
- Create a bucket in your preferred region.
Set up Service Account to give Segment access to upload to your Bucket
- Go to http://cloud.google.com/iam
Click VIEW CONSOLE.
Select a project to which you would like to send Segment data
- In the sidebar, click Service Accounts
Click CREATE SERVICE ACCOUNT.
In the Name field, give your service account a name, for example,
Segment Upload Objects.
- In the Description field, enter a description that will remind you the purpose of the role. For example,
This role gives Segment access to upload raw data files to our bucket.
Click CONTINUE to skip adding Service Account Permissions. We will add permissions directly to the bucket instead.
Click CREATE KEY.
- Select Key Type
Click CREATE to create the key.
A key downloads to your computer. You’ll use this key when creating the Segment Google Cloud Storage Destination. Keep it in a safe place.
Click on DONE to finish creating your Service Account
Set up a Google Cloud Bucket for Segment to Copy Objects
To receive raw data files from Segment, you must first provide a Google Cloud Storage bucket that can store the raw data files:
- Go to https://cloud.google.com/storage
Click GO TO CONSOLE.
Select a project.
Click CREATE BUCKET.
In the Name field, enter a name for your bucket. Any name will work here, but we recommend that include the word “segment”, for example:
- In the Storage Class field, we recommend
- In the Access Control field, choose
Set object-level and bucket-level permissions
No Advanced Options are necessary. Click Create to finish creating the bucket.
Click the tab PERMISSIONS to show bucket permissions
- Click ADD MEMBERS
- In the NEW MEMBERS text input, enter the email address associated with the Service Account we created.
- Click SELECT A ROLE. Select the STORAGE OBJECT ADMIN role. This gives the Service Account read/write access to objects in this bucket only. We require
Object Adminaccess in order to overwrite existing files. Overwriting is required when running replays or in cases of failure handling.
Congratulations! You now have a bucket ready to accept Segment data.
Configure Google Cloud Storage Destination
Once the Google Cloud Storage Bucket and Service Account are created, a destination that will send data files to the bucket must be configured:
- In the Segment Destinations section, click Add Destination. You will be redirected to our
- Search for “Google Cloud Storage”, and click the destination in the catalog.
- Click Configure Google Cloud Storage.
- Select the source you want to send to this destination.
- Enter the values for the settings below:
- Bucket: The name of the bucket you created on the Google Cloud Storage Console.
- GCS Credentials: Copy and paste the contents of the credentials file that downloaded to your computer when you created the Google Cloud Service Account. This grants access so Segment can upload raw data files to your bucket
- Click on the toggle to enable your Destination.
Congratulations! You’ve set up a Google Cloud Storage destination. You’ll receive files in your Bucket within 40 minutes, assuming the Segment Source is regularly producing events.