Segment makes it easy to send your data to Personas Facebook Custom Audiences (and lots of other destinations). Once you've tracked your data through our open source libraries we'll translate and route your data to Personas Facebook Custom Audiences in the format they understand. Learn more about how to use Personas Facebook Custom Audiences with Segment.
The destination lets you sync audiences created through Segment Personas into Facebook Custom Audiences as a User-List. Once you’ve created the audience, Segment will take care of sending that list of users to Facebook and keeping it up to date as users enter and exit the audience specification.
This will allow you to run advertising campaigns in Facebook without having to bug your data or engineering team for a csv of users. This doc lays out how authorize Facebook in Segment, how to create an audience, and what to expect in your Facebook Ads UI. Note that you must add Personas to your Segment plan to use this destination. Please contact our sales team if you want to try this out.
1. Authorize Facebook Custom Audiences
- Go to
- Configure FB on the personas source that we’ve pre-created for you (should be called
- Authorize Facebook Ads (NOTE: If you’ve already authorized FB before in your Segment workspace, the flow will skip the part where it redirects to Facebook to authorize Segment)
- Make sure that you select a Facebook ad account id to sync to. Note that you should have ad account ‘Advertiser’ or ‘Admin’ access for Personas to be able to send custom audiences.
2. Create an audience in Segment & connect to Facebook
- Go to
https://app.segment.com/<your-workspace-slug>/personas/audiences& create a new audience
- Give your audience a name, some event and trait criteria, then click Preview
- Connect your audience to Facebook
- Give your audience a name, and hit create
3. Check FB for audience, should sync within a couple of minutes
- Inside Facebook go to Business Manager > All tools > Assets > Audiences
- Click on the audience with the same name as in the Segment UI, and check the Audience History for how many users have been added
- NOTE: our Facebook Custom Audiences integration supports matching users based off of email, and their mobile advertising identifiers (IDFA, Google advertising id)
Not seeing an audience in Facebook
Make sure you have authorized Facebook and selected an account id. You can review & re-authorize this connection directly here: https://app.segment.com/
Audience size smaller than expected
We attempt to match users in your audience with the identifiers that Facebook supports. This includes email, and their mobile advertising identifiers (IDFA, Google advertising id). Please ensure you are tracking these through Segment to have a successful match rate in Facebook.
How do lookalikes work?
You can create a seed audience in Personas and then sync that to Facebook. For example, you might want to create a group of high-value users that have spent a certain amount of money on your product. In Facebook, you can then create a lookalike based on that audience.
For user-property destinations, an identify call will be sent to the destination for each user being added and removed. The property name will be the snake_cased version of the audience name you provide with a true/false value. For example, when a user first completes an order in the last 30 days, we will send an identify call with the property
order_completed_last_30days: true, and when this user no longer satisfies we will set that value to
When the audience is first created an identify call is sent for every user in the audience. Subsequent syncs will only send updates for those users which were added or removed since the last sync.
Segment lets you change these destination settings via your Segment dashboard without having to touch any code.
Choose an account.
Adding Personas Facebook Custom Audiences to the integrations objectTo add Personas Facebook Custom Audiences to the
integrationsJSON object (for example, to filter data from a specific source), use one of the 1 valid names for this integration:
PERSONAS - Facebook Ads