With Twilio Engage, you can send email and SMS campaigns to users who have opted in to receive your marketing materials. On this page, you’ll learn how to create and send an email campaign.
Some knowledge of the Journeys product will benefit you as you read through this guide. If you’re new to Journeys, the Journeys documentation will bring you up to speed.
How Engage campaign works
Twilio Engage uses Journeys to send email and SMS campaigns. With Journeys, you add conditions and steps that trigger actions like sending an email or an SMS.
You’ll build and then send your campaign in three stages:
- Create a Journey.
- Add a Journey condition.
- Create, test, and send your email campaign.
Create a Journey
Because Engage campaigns exist within Journeys, begin by creating a Journey:
- In Engage, select Journeys, then click New Journey.
- Name your Journey and select its entry settings.
- Click Build Journey to create the Journey.
Add a Journey condition
With your Journey created, you’ll now create a condition that will trigger your email campaign:
- Within the Journey builder, click + Add Entry Condition.
- In the Add Entry Condition pane, give the step a name.
- Click + Add Condition, select your desired condition, then click Save.
With your entry condition added, you’re now ready to create your email.
Create, test, and publish your email campaign
Follow these steps to create an email campaign:
- Within the Journey builder, click the + node below your new condition.
- From the Select a Step window, click Send an email.
- In the Send Email window, select Build a new email or Use a template to choose an existing email template.
- Build or edit your design, then click Save Email.
- Fill out all Send Email fields relevant to your campaign, then click Save.
Some email campaign fields, like Sender email and Subject, are required. The Send Email window indicates required fields with an asterisk. Refer to the email campaign fields table for a full description of available email fields.
If you use a template for your email, Engage creates an editable copy of the original. Editing the template within the Journey won’t alter the original template.
Test your email campaign
At this point, you can send a test email before publishing your campaign. Test emails confirm that your design, unsubscribe links, and merge tags appear as expected.
As part of the test send, you can select a test profile. The test profile populates the test email and replaces merge tags with personalized content, but doesn’t send a test email to the test address.
Follow these steps to test your campaign:
- In the Send Email pane, navigate to Body, then click Test Email.
- In the Recipients field, enter the email address(es) that will receive your test email.
- Search for and select a test profile.
- Click Send Test Email.
Publish your email campaign
With your email designed and tested, you’re now ready to save the campaign and publish your Journey, with the following steps:
- Verify that all Send Email fields are correct.
- Click Save.
- In the Journey builder, click Publish.
Your email campaign is now live. When users trigger the email’s parent Journey condition, they will receive your email campaign.
Email campaign fields
The following table contains descriptions of all available fields in the Journeys Send Email builder. Asterisks indicate required fields.
|Step name *||Required; the name for the email campaign’s parent Journey step. Email recipients won’t see this field.|
|Sender email *||The email address users will see in the from field of the email campaign.|
|Sender name *||The name users will see next to the sender email.|
|Reply to email *||The email address that will receive any replies users send. You can use different Sender and reply-to email addresses. Email recipients will see this address if they reply to your campaign.|
|Reply to name *||The name users will see next to the reply-to email address.|
|BCC||Email address that will receive a blind carbon copy of your email campaign.|
|Preview text||A brief message that displays next to the email subject.|
|Subject *||The email subject.|
|Body *||The email’s content. Select Build Email Content to create a new campaign, or Use a template to choose an existing template.|
Using Journeys, you can create multi-channel customer engagement with both email and SMS campaigns. Having published an email, learn how Engage SMS campaigns can help you market to customers through text messages.
This page was last modified: 27 Sep 2022
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact Segment Support for assistance!