Use Twilio Engage to build personalized email templates to store and use throughout marketing campaigns.
Build an email template from scratch using a visual editor or with an HTML code editor. Include personalized content in the subject line, preview text, and email body to engage with users based on their profile traits and actions.
Build an Email template
Navigate to Engage > Content and use the Email Templates page to preview and edit existing templates.
To configure an email template, click Create Template.
- Select Email, and click Configure.
- Configure the email template.
- Add a template name for internal reference.
- Add an internal description.
- Enter the sender email address.
- Emails can only be sent from verified domains.
- Enter the sender name.
- Indicate if you want replies sent back to the initial sender. If not, add a “reply to” email and name.
- Add email addresses to receive a blind carbon copy of your email.
- Add preview text and the subject line. Use merge tags to personalize the email template with real-time profile traits.
- Select the design method to build your email template:
- Visual Editor is an easy to use, drag and drop WYSIWYG tool with customizable content blocks.
- HTML Editor is an HTML editor with a side-by-side preview screen. This editor provides complete HTML editing access with error flagging.
- Design the email template, then click Create Email Template.
Test the Email template
You can send test emails before you include a template in marketing campaigns
- Select the email template you want to test on the Templates screen.
- From the Template Settings page, click Test Email.
- Enter email addresses that will receive the test email.
- Choose a test profile with traits that apply to your marketing campaign and click Use as Test Profile.
- Select Send Test Email.
You can also test email templates directly from a Send an Email step in Journeys.
Personalize with merge tags
Personalize email content in Twilio Engage with real-time profile traits in your email subject line, preview text, and message body.
As you configure the template, click Merge Tags and select the profile traits to include. Engage inserts the merge tags based on cursor placement.
You can also add merge tags in heading and body text as you design an email with the visual editor.
Include unsubscribe links
When you build email templates, it’s your responsibility to include an unsubscribe link in your message. Add unsubscribe links to an email template from the visual or HTML editor.
When a recipient clicks on an unsubscribe link, they’ll see a confirmation page and the recipient’s subscription state is updated.
Only send messages to subscribed users. Learn more about User Subscriptions in Twilio Engage.
Clone an Email template
You can clone existing Email templates to edit and use in your message campaigns.
To clone a template, navigate to the Templates page (Engage > Content). You can also clone from the Overview page of an individual template.
- Click the … icon.
- Select Clone.
- Enter a template name.
- Click Clone to save the template.
After you clone a template, you can edit it from the Templates page.
View some email deliverability tips and tricks from SendGrid.
You can also use the Templates screen in Engage to build SMS templates.
This page was last modified: 17 Oct 2022
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact Segment Support for assistance!