Developer Center Overview
Developer Center no longer accepts new components.
Segment is redeveloping the Developer Center and will launch a new version when complete. To stay up to date, add your contact information here.
Building on Segment
Over 19,000 companies use Segment as their central hub for collecting and synthesizing first-party customer data. Customers use Segment Sources to collect data across all their properties (web, mobile, CRMs, email etc.) and send this data into Destinations (SaaS tools, internal databases or queues, or a data warehouse) to perform analytics, run marketing campaigns and much more.
Below is a sample screenshot of a customer’s Segment dashboard, showing all their sources of data on the left, and destinations for their data on the right.
Segment’s core feature is the Connections Catalog:
Customers discover your Sources and Destinations using the Connections Catalog and can enable them from there.
The development process is simple:
- Understand Segment’s Conceptual Model and Spec.
- Follow Segment’s security guidance.
- Request access to the Segment Developer Center.
- Create an App.
- Build and test your Component(s).
- Publish documentation.
- Submit your App for review.
- Launch into Public Beta!
1. Understand Segment’s Conceptual Model
It’s important to understand Segment’s Conceptual Model to begin planning your integration. This will help you understand how data will flow from or into your integration.
2. Follow Segment’s security guidance
Security for both customers and partners is a priority at Segment. Before you start building on the Developer Center, review the Acceptable Use Policy and ensure you’re following the below guidance:
- Follow a secure software-development lifecycle, which enables you to create code that is safe for Segment customers and their end users, and that enables you to maintain and raise the security of that code over time
- If you or your code comes into contact with Segment customer- or end-user data for any reason, protect it with commercially reasonable methods throughout its data lifecycle, including creation, handling, transporting, storing and destruction.
- If you suspect a security event, incident or breach while working on this project or afterward, contact Segment Security for assistance with your investigation and communications
- Practice modern and common-sense security for any scenario not explicitly stated
3. Request Access
During Developer Preview, you will need to request access to Developer Center. A Segment account is required for this step.
Segment receives a large volume of requests so please include a valid company website and email address, answer all questions with details about integration’s use case as well as highlighting specific customer requests to expedite the approval process.
4. Create your App
Once approved, you can create your first App. This represents a tile in the Segment catalog irrespective of which Component type you choose to build so it should reflect your tool’s name (for example, Zendesk Chat, Zendesk Sell).
5. Build & Test
Now you can start building! Depending on your use case you can build a:
No matter which Component you decide to build, make it aligns with the Segment Spec. This is a critical component in preserving logical continuity between disparate writers and readers of data. If you encourage customers to break the spec, you are breaking the promise of Segment, and is grounds for removal from the catalog.
To provide a positive experience for mutual customers, it’s important to test integrations with the tooling provided by the Developer Center. You can also use your Segment sandbox to polish the experience your end users will see.
Finally, make sure you prepare documentation and relevant marketing material for easy discovery and reference. Provide the following documentation about your integration by making a copy of the below templates:
- Documentation hosted by Segment for Subscription / Plugin or Stream
- Documentation for the Segment catalog using this template)
- Documentation hosted on your own website about your new Segment integration
- Draft blog post announcing your new integration
You can submit your Component in the Developer Center for review. Segment aims to respond to your submission within two business days to kickstart the review process.
Segment tests your integration and reviews your documentation and marketing material. To keep this review feedback loop short, make sure that your integration:
- Adheres to the Segment Spec
- Adheres to your published documentation
- Supports high data volumes
- Meets all launch requirements
See the Public Beta Checklist for a detailed checklist used by the Segment team to review and approve the launch of your integration.
In a nutshell you need:
A working integration tested end-to-end. Follow your own documentation and run through the experience as a mutual customer.
Complete the fields under the App Info tab with your App including both Basic Info and Launch Info. This includes:
- Segment Documentation: Using these templates (subscription/stream, document how mutual customers can use your integration.
- Your Documentation: Similar to the above but hosted on your own website.
- Catalog Details: Details for the catalog material including screenshots by making a copy of this template.
- Integrations / Partners Page: Add your Segment integration to your integrations or partners page.
- Blog Post: Publish a launch blog post about your integration, like this. Make sure you share it on Twitter and LinkedIn too! (If you don’t have a blog, an email is okay)
You can contact Segment Partner Support at firstname.lastname@example.org once you have all these elements ready for review. Once approved, your Destination goes live on the Catalog in Public Beta.
Congratulations on launching your integration in Public Beta - welcome aboard! Here are the next steps to move out from Public Beta to Public:
- Implement the Enable with Segment OAuth button - this makes it much easier for mutual customers to get started with your integration!
- Onboard at least three customers to actively use your integration
Bonus points if you join the Segment Select Partner Program!
You can taking advantage of Segment’s available partner opportunities by joining the Segment Select Partner Program.
By becoming a Segment Select partner, you have access to sales support, technical training, and personalized co-marketing opportunities. Learn more about the program details here.
This page was last modified: 10 Jun 2022
Questions? Problems? Need more info? Contact Segment Support for assistance!