Building on Segment
Over 19,000 companies use Segment as their central hub for collecting and synthesizing first-party customer data. Customers use Segment Sources to collect all data across all their properties (web, mobile, CRMs, email etc.) and send this data into Destinations (SaaS tools, internal databases or queues, or a data warehouse) to perform analytics, run marketing campaigns and much more.
Below is a sample screenshot of a customer’s Segment dashboard, showing all their sources of data on the left, and destinations for their data on the right.
Segment’s core feature is our Connections Catalog:
Customers discover your Sources and Destinations via the Connections Catalog and can enable them from there.
The development process is simple:
- Familiarize yourself with the Conceptual Model of building on Segment, specifically Apps and Components, and plan your integration.
- Request access to the Segment Developer Center, including use cases and your high level plan.
- Create an App that will represent your company within the Segment Catalog.
- Build, test and document your Component(s) by following development guides and checklists.
- Submit your App for review.
Get Access to the Developer Center
First you will need a Segment account and access to Dev Center.
Make sure to use your company email address and to answer all the survey questions to expedite approval.
Create your App
Now you can create your App. Your App will ultimately represent you in the Segment Catalog, so you should name it after your company.
Build your Component
Now you can start building! Depending on your use case you can:
We provide tooling for you to test your components before submitting, unique to each component type. You can find more information in each link above.
Typically this process will take 1 to 2 weeks of a developer’s time.
Test your Component
The ultimate goal is for Partners like yourself to create and publish high quality Components in the Segment Catalog. Your Segment account doubles as a sandbox account to test your Component while you are still in a private “building” state.
During your build you can use private deep links to see your Component in the Segment App, and enable, configure and send data through it. We encourage you to do this to polish the experience on Segment and your service.
The Segment Developer Center team will test your components in this fashion before approving it for the Catalog.
Document your Component
To provide a great experience for users, and to help us test your integration, you need to document your integration. Segment expects docs both on your site about Segment, and on Segment’s site about your integration. We provide templates for our docs to help you get started.
Submitting for Review
You can submit your components in the Developer Center for review. We strive to review all submissions within 2 business days so that you can keep your feedback loops tight!
Tips for Review
In general, the most important things are to:
- Adhere to the Segment Spec in your component(s).
- Share your documentation ahead of or with the submission, and follow it.
- Be ready to stand up to high data volumes.
- Be ready to go with your launch requirements.
See the Public Beta Checklist for full details about how Segment approves your app for listing in the public integrations catalog.
In a nutshell you need:
A working integration tested end-to-end. We encourage you to follow your own documentation and run through the experience as one of our mutual customers.
Complete the fields under the App Info tab with your App including both Basic Info and Launch Info. This includes:
- Segment Documentation: Using these templates (subscription|stream, document how our mutual customers can utilize your integration.
- Your Documentation: Similar to the above but hosted on your own website.
- Catalog Details: Details for our catalog material including screenshots by making a copy of this template.
- Integrations / Partners Page: Add your Segment integration to your integrations or partners page, like this.
- Blog Post: Publish a launch blog post about your integration, like this. Make sure you share it on Twitter and LinkedIn too! (If you don’t have a blog, an email is okay)
You can reach out to us at email@example.com once you have all these elements ready for review. Once we approve them, your Destination goes live on Catalog in Public Beta 🎉
Congratulations on launching your integration in Public Beta - welcome aboard! Here are the next steps to move out from Public Beta to fully Public:
- Implement the Enable with Segment OAuth button - this makes it much easier for our mutual customers to get started with your integration!
- Onboard at least 3 customers to actively utilize your integration
Bonus points if you join the Segment Select Partner Program!
Segment Promotion via The Segment Select Partner Program
Our focus when working with partners is to ensure we are always providing an exceptional experience to our joint customers.
From there, you can start taking advantage of our available partner opportunities by joining the Segment Select Partner Program.
By becoming a Segment Select partner, you have access to sales support, technical training, and personalized co-marketing opportunities. Learn more about the program details here.